Results for Development (R4D) is a leading nonprofit global development partner. We work with changemakers around the world – government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators – to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to achieve it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytical rigor, hands-on support for decision-making and implementation, and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and produce lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve development results too.
We have a unique and dynamic culture at R4D. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity – of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds – is essential to who we are and what we do. We are looking for people who embrace these values and will help to reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative and entrepreneurial. We operate on the basis of trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other to continuously build better R4D.
R4D seeks a Senior Program Manager with expertise in health system strengthening to provide strategic and technical leadership to a growing portfolio of work supporting primary and community health care. COVID-19 has underscored the importance of primary and community health care systems to ensure continuity of care and meet urgent health system needs. Renewed attention is being paid to these frontline levels as countries focus on building more resilient and equitable health systems, particularly through strengthening the workforce and learning from the challenges and innovations introduced in response to the pandemic.
The Senior Program Manager will be a recognized leader in primary and community health care, with experience in health workforce issues and innovation in primary health care service delivery, and is expected to create a impactful pipeline of work within a growing practice. The Senior Program Manager will report to one of R4D’s General Managers and collaborate with the other members of the R4D leadership team. The position’s preferred location is the Washington DC area.
In their first year, the Senior Program Manager will provide technical leadership for a newly launched community health workforce activity under the Health Systems Strengthening Accelerator (Accelerator), with a focus on education, recruitment and funding of frontline community health workers. The Accelerator is a five-year, USAID-funded program that provides catalytic support to countries as they tackle thorny health systems challenges and accelerate innovation and self-reliance. The Accelerator focuses on building the capacity of countries to drive health systems change in a sustainable and institutionalized way, while helping them address specific systemic issues that impede progress towards improved health outcomes. In addition to R4D, the Accelerator consortium includes the Health Strategy and Delivery Foundation (HSDF), ICF, and a growing number of local and regional organizations. For more information about the accelerator, visit: https://www.acceleratehss.org/.
Increasingly over time, the Senior Program Director will provide technical expertise and strategic leadership in program creation for a portfolio of other primary health care innovation and strengthening work led by R4D, building on and developing previous R4D experience, such as that of primary school. Health Care Performance Initiative (PHCPI) [http://improvingphg.org]).
- Provide overall strategic leadership, technical direction and thought leadership for primary and community health care practice
- Lead new business initiatives in primary and community health care practice
- Lead the overall planning and implementation of Community Health Workforce activity under the Accelerator Project, including leading a dedicated team to work. In collaboration with project and technical directors, ensure high quality of all major technical deliverables and strong partnerships with selected national stakeholders and USAID activity leads.
- Provide overall strategic leadership and technical direction in community and primary health care innovations across R4D’s health portfolio, particularly as they relate to the health workforce.
- Effectively manage intersections between related R4D programs in community and primary health care, such as the Joint Learning Network (JLN) for Universal Health Coverage, the Primary Health Care Performance Initiative (PHCPI), the Strategic Procurement Resource Center in Africa (SPARC), the Learning Network for Countries in Transition (LNCT) and various bilateral country programs.
- Develop and oversee institutional partnerships related to primary and community health care with an extensive network of global, regional and local technical partners, including potential donors (e.g. BMGF, Rockefeller Foundation, Global Financing Facility), multilateral actors (WHO, World Bank, UNICEF) and civil society organizations.
- Participate in public forums and effectively engage local and international audiences to ensure strong communication about R4D’s work in community and primary healthcare.
- Lead and publish global knowledge and analytical products and present to external audiences at global and national panels and conferences
- Coach and coach junior staff on best practices in primary and community health care
- Promote a highly committed organizational culture of excellence and continuous improvement that values learning and innovation, entrepreneurship, and commitment to organizational diversity, equity, inclusion, and professional growth.
- As a member of the R4D management team, contribute to organizational strategy, policies and operations and design platforms through the accelerator that could be replicated and/or used for other health programs, education and nutrition.
- Participates fully as a member of R4D by contributing, assisting and participating in projects, activities and initiatives as requested by management.
The specific skills and abilities required for the position include the following:
- R4D is looking for a leader with deep experience and passion for strengthening primary and community health care systems across the world and extensive experience building consensus among diverse constituents and contexts. They will have significant leadership experience on USAID-funded projects and direct in-country implementation experience. They will be excited about R4D’s organizational strategy and motivated to work with key stakeholders to create effective and achievable operational approaches. The successful candidate will be an energetic, mission-driven, collaborative health systems expert and senior executive with a proven track record of building diverse, high-performing teams and multi-stakeholder partnerships with strong communication and ownership processes. decision.
- This central role will be considered for health policy and/or international development professionals with 1) experience and expertise in primary and community health care, including health workforce issues; 2) experience in project management and technical assistance to USAID or other donor-funded initiatives; and 3) the ability to meet rigorous deadlines, track results, effectively manage staff and multi-stakeholder relationships, and support decision-making at national and sub-national levels to create positive change.
- At least a Masters degree and preferably a PhD in a relevant field (medicine, public health, public/social policy, public administration or similar) or equivalent experience, with recognized expertise in health systems. Clinical experience is desirable.
- At least 15-20 years of experience, including at least 5 years of supervisory and program creation experience, with increasing leadership responsibility in government health agencies, global development nonprofit organizations, foundations, donors, multilateral institutions or international health systems. Experience must include designing, securing funding and directing community/primary health care programs.
- Demonstrated leadership showing strategic thinking in designing and executing projects, including planning work, managing and mentoring junior colleagues, and overseeing consistent and cost-effective use of resources to achieve goals
- Significant experience working with government leaders in multiple countries to design and implement primary and community health care reforms.
- Strong analytical and research skills, including clinical or programmatic implementation research, political economy analysis and/or program evaluation.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills for small internal teamwork and large external events.
- Experience in leading complex organizations or initiatives with multiple partners, interdependent workflows and worldwide operations.
- Experience in leadership roles with USAID-funded programs required; experience in leadership roles with additional donor-funded programs desirable.
- Experience living and/or working in low- and middle-income countries, with work experience in the West African region preferred.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Fluency in French (oral and written) desirable.
How to register
Please click here to apply.