The Hornbill Festival 2021 is officially launched! Dates, rules and other details
2021 Calao Festival schedule
The festival is an incessant experience 24/7 over 10 days. Park around Kisama village to get the most of the experience, but take time to explore other parts of the area. As part of the festival, you can sign up for trips to local villages, camping in the Dzukou Valley, and World War II-themed car rallies. And then there is the crazy list of small events: stone draw, walking marathons, mountain biking, cross-fit championships, wrestling, barbecues. Here’s a sample of what’s on offer:
If you want a dose of art and culture
- Hornbill music festival, feat. several local acts across genres. Kisama Festival Village, Kohima: December 1-10
- Nagaland Literature Festival, to catch up with local literary talent. December 3-4, RCEMPA, Jostsoma, Kohima
- Third Nagaland Film Festival, for a slice of Northeastern cinema. December 3-5, Capital Congress Center, Kohima
If you are there for the food
Food is a must-see part of the experience, with pop-up stalls and kitchens on the festival grounds and all over Kohima and Dimapur.
If you want to push the boundaries
- Hornbill Cross Country Championships, with 8 and 10km routes. December 8. Register here.
- 4th Hornbill Strongman International Crossfit Competition: December 6, Kohima
- King of the Hills Mountain Bike Race: Event lasting several days and several stages from December 1st. Register here.
Want to taste the local life?
- World War II Peace Rally, to commemorate the historic battle of Kohima. Expect to see vehicles, weapons, uniforms, and various memorabilia from WWII. December 7
- Visit to WWII cemetery, Kohima: 2-10 December
- Day trips to local villages — Phüsachodu, Kigwema, Tuophema: 2-10 December
If you want to go shopping
- International Festival of Looms, is the opportunity to meet local weavers and artisans. December 9-10, Diezephe Handicrafts Village, Dimapur (60km from Kohima).
- Bamboo Calao Festival, is where you head if you want a piece of Nagaland’s famous bamboo craftsmanship. December 3-5 (Dimapur).